Welcome to the third installment of my HEAV Convention Giveaway! Only 9 more days and 2 more blog posts until the big day!
Most of the readers who have entered the drawing have been to a HEAV convention before, but there are a few people who have never attended one. Those of us who have been probably understand how overwhelming the convention can be for first-timers….there are just so many amazing sessions to attend, so many vendors to visit, and so much to see and do! It helps to have some “survival tips” 🙂 .
These are some tips that I shared last year, but I think they are worth repeating:
1. First, take the time to pray. Pray about how God is directing your plans. Pray for wisdom and guidance as you and your spouse make decisions about the upcoming year. Pray for your children. Just pray!
2. Wear comfortable shoes. You will be doing a lot of walking! Bring a sweater or jacket as many of the conference rooms are chilly.
3. Take a few minutes to look over the map and schedule after you check in. Circle or highlight the sessions that you don’t want to miss and plan other activities such as shopping, meals, etc. around those sessions. Many times there are way too many wonderful sessions that I want to go to and not enough time, so I usually purchase HEAV’s Convention MP3 while I’m at the convention for a discounted price. Then I don’t feel rushed or stressed out because I’m missing an amazing speaker!
4. Bring a notebook and pen to take notes. I actually carry a binder with notebook paper, folders, pens, highlighter, paperclips, Post-It notes, and rubber bands. I also print off my registration confirmation, map of vendor hall, etc.
5. Bring a rolling cart to carry all of the wonderful goodies that you’ll be buying!
6. Decide on a budget and stick to it! Try not to make any purchases on the first day (unless you are 100% sure it’s something you need). Take time to shop around at different vendors to find the best price, or even better – see if you can find the item you’re looking for at the Used Curriculum Sale!
7. Print off labels with your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. Many vendors offer prizes or the chance to sign up for more information…instead of filling out all of those forms by hand, you can just stick a label on it and move on saving yourself lots of time!
8. Take inventory of what items you already have at home, what products/curriculum that you need, and a wish list a few weeks before the convention. I usually research items online beforehand and write down prices so I have a basic idea of how much things cost.
9. Drink lots of water and eat healthy meals and snacks to help keep your energy up.
10. Enjoy your time at the convention! Soak up lots of encouragement, make new friends, be inspired, gain wisdom, feel uplifted, get prepared for next year, and HAVE FUN 🙂 !!!
*** Now for your third chance to enter the 2015 HEAV Convention giveaway:
Comment on today’s post by sharing your name and which speaker or session you are most looking forward to hearing at this years convention. You can view the speakers and their session descriptions by clicking here.
There are many sessions that I’m interested in attending, but I’m especially looking forward to hearing Ken Ham speak! We visited the Creation Museum a few years ago and use many of the Answers in Genesis books in our homeschool. You can read about our visit to the Creation Museum by clicking here. It was a AWESOME trip!
(LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Bible verses that were shared from my post on 2/9! If you have a chance, please go back and read what scriptures are an encouragement to other homeschooling moms – you will be blessed!)