I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! The weather was BEAUTIFUL here in Virginia! After celebrating our risen Savior at church, we went on a family picnic. The kids had fun fishing (even catching a few using JELLY BEANS for bait!), playing ball, and the younger ones enjoyed an egg hunt.
I love making memories like these and am thankful beyond belief for my family and the time we get to share together!
Congratulations to Kimberly Williams!
You won a FREE full family registration to the 2017 HEAV convention 🙂 !
I’m so excited for you and know that the convention will be a blessing to you and your family!
What would we do without our amazing dads and husbands???
Our homeschooling group wanted to honor the men who support our families and our homeschooling journeys, so we decided to host a special dinner night to demonstrate how much we love and appreciate them. The theme was “super heroes” since they truly are heroes to us 🙂 ! The kids helped decorate, serve drinks and desserts, and clean up after the party. The most special thing that they did though was they each wrote a personal letter to their dads. I loved watching the reactions and smiles as the fathers read their letters! So sweet!
It was such a wonderful night and I’m so glad that we got the chance to tell them all thank you for all that they do…we couldn’t homeschool without their love and support!
Ok, here’s your third and final chance to enter my giveaway for a FREE full family registration ($79 value) to the 2017 HEAV homeschool convention!
To enter, leave a comment on today’s blog post and tell me what your sweet spouse does to support you as you educate your kids at home….THEN GO AND THANK THEM PERSONALLY FOR ALL THAT THEY DO!!!
Winner will be announced on Wednesday, April 12th!
Tips for “surviving” and thriving the HEAV Convention 🙂 :
- First, take the time to pray. Pray about how God is directing your plans. Pray for wisdom and guidance as you and your spouse make decisions about the upcoming year. Pray for your children. Just pray!
- Wear comfortable shoes (tennis shoes and not sandals if your feet tend to get cold). You will be doing a lot of walking! Bring a sweater or jacket as many of the conference rooms are chilly.
- Take a few minutes to look over the map and schedule after you check in. Circle or highlight the sessions that you don’t want to miss and plan other activities such as shopping, meals, etc. around those sessions. Many times there are too many wonderful sessions and not enough time – you can purchase the sessions on MP3 at the convention for a discounted price (or go in with a friend and share the cost). Remember, the vendor sessions (for example – Tapestry of Grace) and Keynote speakers are not recorded. Then you won’t feel rushed or stressed out because you are missing an amazing speaker!
- Bring a notebook and pen to take notes. It’s helpful to carry a binder with notebook paper, folders, pens, highlighter, paperclips, Post-It notes, and rubber bands. It’s also a good idea to print off your registration confirmation (just in case).
- Bring a durable, rolling cart to carry all of the wonderful goodies that you’ll be buying!
- Decide on a budget and stick to it! Try not to make any purchases on the first day (unless you are 100% sure it’s something you need). Take time to shop around at different vendors to find the best price, or even better – see if you can find the item you’re looking for at the Used Curriculum Sale! (Tip – You can search the UCS on the HEAV website before convention to see if what you’re looking for is available)
- Print off labels with your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. Many vendors offer prizes or the chance to sign up for more information…instead of filling out all of those forms by hand, you can just stick a label on it and move on, saving yourself lots of time!
- Take inventory of what items you already have at home, what products/curriculum that you need, and a wish list a few weeks before the convention. You can even take pictures of your bookshelves with your phone! If possible, research items online beforehand and write down prices so you have a basic idea of how much things cost.
- Drink lots of water and eat healthy meals and snacks high in protein to help keep your energy up.
- Carry an envelope and keep all of your receipts together in one place.
- If you see an item that you may be interested in, write down the item and the booth number so you don’t forget where you saw it (or take a pic with your cell phone)!
- Volunteer! HEAV is such a wonderful organization that helps so many families. You will be blessed by helping out and giving back (plus you get a golden ticket to get into the Used Curriculum Sale early)!
- Enjoy your time at the convention! Soak up lots of encouragement, make new friends, be inspired, gain wisdom, feel uplifted, get prepared for next year, and HAVE FUN 🙂 !!!
Here are some of my favorite memories from past conventions:
Soooo excited to meet Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis!!!
The whole family came out to hear the Duggars!
A photo op with Andrew Pudewa of Institute for Excellence in Writing!
Are you ready for your second chance to win a FREE full family registration to the 2017 HEAV homeschool convention?
To enter, leave a comment on this blog post answering the following question:
What is your favorite part of convention?
(You guys ROCKED the last question! Feel free to go back and look at all of the wonderful comments from my last post to read all of the amazing advice readers have received about homeschooling!)
Click on the picture below to learn more about the HEAV Convention:
(I’m so excited to announce that it’s my turn to host a giveaway for HEAV (Home Educator’s Association of Virginia)!
Each year the bloggers are blessed to be able to give one winner a full FREE family registration to convention ($79 value).
Think you can’t enter the contest because you have already registered and paid for this year’s convention? No problem! If you win my contest, HEAV will reimburse your registration fee…they are THAT awesome 🙂 !
How do you enter you ask? It’s super easy! You’ll have three chances by leaving a comment on three different posts.
Today is your first chance and today’s question is:
What is the best advice you’ve ever received regarding homeschooling?
I can’t wait to hear your answers and share them with my readers. I think it’ll be a blessing to everyone!
Ready, set, GO!!!
(Winner will be announced April 12th)